Dunmow suffer trophy defeat to the Spartans
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Rhodes exited the Essex Junior Trophy at the second round stage going down 3-2 to LMAC Spartans.
Both teams enjoyed the fantastic playing surface with the passing quick and precise around the pitch.
Dunmow were able to open up the LMAC defence in the 17th minute with a superb ball from captain Simon Preece to Scott Shelford who went round the keeper and side-footed into the empty net.
LMAC came back strongly winning every second ball in midfield and testing the Dunmow defence.
In the 26th minute Dunmow were unable to clear the ball and it fell to the LMAC striker who calmly found the back of the net.
You may also want to watch:
This goal pushed the away team on more and just before half-time Dunmow let the LMAC striker into the box to score and take the lead.
Dunmow came out in a different frame of mind for the second period.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 3 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 4 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 7 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 8 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 9 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 10 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
The half-time team-talk showed the crowd watching how Dunmow can compete against a team who consistently broke up the play with cynical fouls.
However, against the run of play LMAC scored a fantastic third with a long range strike.
With 30 minutes left the youngest player in the Dunmow squad, Taylor Williamson, entered the game.
His lightning pace and link play with Jack Buckland opened up defence. Dunmow won a corner and Preece headed in for 3-2.
The last 10 minutes saw Dunmow have chance after chance but they were unable to find an equaliser.