Dunmow’s Alex Lynn moves to Formula E with DS Virgin Racing
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow racing driver Alex Lynn has departed GP2 and has joined the FIA Formula E championship’s DS Virgin Racing.
After two years of competing in GP2, a step below F1, the 23-year-old signed a multi-year deal with DS Virgin Racing as their reserve driver.
Formula E is an electric car street racing series which was introduced in 2014.
Following this week’s announcement, Lynn, who has won Formula Renault UK and GP3 titles in the past, said: “DS Virgin Racing is the coolest team in the Formula E championship.
“They are passionate about racing and go all out to win.
“Their marketing is second to none and the DSVO2 car itself just looks great.
“As a driver, these elements really matter.
- 1 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 8 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 9 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 10 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
“It helps that their cars win races pretty consistently too.”
Lynn’s role in the team will involve car development and testing and helping main drivers Sam Bird and José María López prepare for races.
Speaking of the position, he added: “I like the combination of street racing along with the challenge of energy management.
“I think this series is going to suit me down to the ground.
“I look forward to working with Sam and Jose in testing and development of the cars and at the DS Performance simulator in Satory.”
The next, and third, round of the Formula E Series is in Buenos Aires, Argentina starting on February 18.