Dunmow netball team shine at national competition
- Credit: Archant
A NETBALL team from Great Dunmow topped off a superb season by claiming first place at a recent competition involving sides from across the country.
Players from The Starr team arrived in Norfolk for the annual Potters Leisure Resort tournament on the back of a promotion-winning winter season in the Chelmsford and District Netball League, but were still expecting to find the nationwide competition tough going.
The club, sponsored by The Starr restaurant in Great Dunmow, started the contest strongly and reached the cup draw after successfully making it through the first day’s league format, before battling it out in the knockout phase and winning the final 8-6 against a team from Crosskeys Netball.
“We had enjoyed a wonderful winter season, which culminated in our promotion to Division Two of the Chelmsford and District Netball League,” said Amanda Nesbitt, wing defence for The Starr. “Our confidence was high going into the tournament and we knew we could play, but we never expected to be among the contenders to win the competition.
“Even after making it through the first day’s group stage, we thought one of the bigger teams from across the country would win.
“But we all pulled together to produce some excellent team performances and it felt like a real case of the underdog coming out on top in the final against the Crosskeys side.”
The team are now looking forward to their end of season presentation night on Saturday (June 8).
- 1 Bid launched for 120 new homes in Great Dunmow
- 2 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 3 Great Dunmow Primary pupil donates hair to children with cancer
- 4 Who are the runners and riders to replace Boris Johnson as PM?
- 5 New crematorium opens in Dunmow
- 6 Tributes paid to 'much respected' Great Dunmow Town Band leader Andy King
- 7 Eight in a row for Dunmow, as Aythorpe Roding edge home
- 8 Boris Johnson will resign as Tory leader today
- 9 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 10 Boris Johnson quits as prime minister but vows to stay until October
Nesbitt added: “This really has been a year to remember for The Starr netball team. We would all like to thank Sir Francis Mackay, owner of The Starr restaurant in Market Place Great Dunmow, for his on-going sponsorship of the club.”