Dunmow netball team shine at national competition
- Credit: Archant
A NETBALL team from Great Dunmow topped off a superb season by claiming first place at a recent competition involving sides from across the country.
Players from The Starr team arrived in Norfolk for the annual Potters Leisure Resort tournament on the back of a promotion-winning winter season in the Chelmsford and District Netball League, but were still expecting to find the nationwide competition tough going.
The club, sponsored by The Starr restaurant in Great Dunmow, started the contest strongly and reached the cup draw after successfully making it through the first day’s league format, before battling it out in the knockout phase and winning the final 8-6 against a team from Crosskeys Netball.
“We had enjoyed a wonderful winter season, which culminated in our promotion to Division Two of the Chelmsford and District Netball League,” said Amanda Nesbitt, wing defence for The Starr. “Our confidence was high going into the tournament and we knew we could play, but we never expected to be among the contenders to win the competition.
“Even after making it through the first day’s group stage, we thought one of the bigger teams from across the country would win.
You may also want to watch:
“But we all pulled together to produce some excellent team performances and it felt like a real case of the underdog coming out on top in the final against the Crosskeys side.”
The team are now looking forward to their end of season presentation night on Saturday (June 8).
- 1 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 4 New cycle network consultation announced
- 5 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 6 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 7 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 10 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
Nesbitt added: “This really has been a year to remember for The Starr netball team. We would all like to thank Sir Francis Mackay, owner of The Starr restaurant in Market Place Great Dunmow, for his on-going sponsorship of the club.”