Dunmow get back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow ended a three-match losing streak in the Two Counties League Division Two with a confident six-wicket victory over Exning on Saturday.
Going into the game the league table showed seven sides with a win and three defeat record, so the clash between Dunmow and Exning, two of those sides, took on an additional significance.
Winning his fifth toss in a row, Dunmow skipper Paul Reid chose to bowl first at St Edmunds Lane.
This decision was well rewarded with Matt Gibson, continuing his good form from last week, claiming both opening batsmen caught behind in figures of 2-48.
Exning’s danger man, Tim Catley, showed his class with some excellent fluid shot making through the leg side in particular, exploiting anything remotely short of a length.
You may also want to watch:
However, he struggled to find anyone willing to partner him effectively.
Dunmow bowler Baz Sewell, missing from the previous game, wheeled away for 11.2 overs to claim 5-21, while spin twin Nav Ali claimed 3-75 from 15 overs at the other end.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 9 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 10 Join Pam on sponsored 'walkies' for Guide Dogs
When Catley fell for 94, the rest of the innings fell apart, and Exning closed their innings on 183.
Dunmow lost Luke Swanston cheaply in reply, but then characterised the rest of the innings with effective partnerships.
Ali (21) and Joe Gallant (64 not out) put on 54 for the second wicket, Gallant and Rosewell 36 for the third, Gallant and Kesingland 41 and finally Gallant and captain Reid 54 unbroken to make reasonably light work of the chase.
Only Baigent (2-48) and SJ Lawson (1-55) enjoyed any success and Exning were made to toil in the field.
Dunmow 2nds also claimed a victory as they beat West Bergholt in Division Nine South.
On Saturday the 1sts travel to Mildenhall 2nds while the 2nds host Witham 3rds.