Dunmow FC win in extra time

WELCOMING back three key players Dunmow FC took revenge on Rayleigh in the quarter final of the Divisional Cup in an pulsating cup tie.

Dunmow 4 Rayleigh 3 (aet)

WELCOMING back three key players Dunmow FC took revenge on Rayleigh in the quarter final of the Divisional Cup in an pulsating cup tie.

In truth Dunmow deserved to win the game comfortably over the 90 minutes but some wayward shooting and some excellent work from Rayleigh’s keeper saw the game settled after a tense period of extra time.

Dunmow started brightly enough and the first half passed with them having the lion’s share of possession.

You may also want to watch:

They spent much of the half camped in Rayleigh’s half but the hosts recent injury woes continued with striker Andy Harvey being replaced by Scott Geraghty after only 20 minutes due to a rib injury.

With no goals in the first half Dunmow managed to open the scoring in the second. Oliver Coopersmith produced a finish which benefitted from a sizable deflection but was later awarded to him.

Most Read

Much as the week before when the two side clashed in league, Dunmow scoring spurred Rayleigh into greater efforts and Dunmow only held the advantage for 10 minutes before Rayleigh were level again.

The hosts in turn picked up their game following this set back and Will Green spurned a great chance blazing over an open goal from four yards.

With the score at 1-1 at the end of full time the match went into an extra period of 30 minutes, and Dunmow scored immediately with Will Green finally converting a chance.

Rayleigh rallied and scored either side of half time in extra time going 3-2 up, including a penalty.

Dunmow didn’t let their heads go down and again fought back hard with Will Green being denied time and again.

It took a little slice of magic from Dan Moss to finally break Rayleigh’s spirit and lead.

Following a lung-bursting run from right back Ben Jolly, Moss received the ball with his back to goal and 25 yards out, Moss swivelled and smashed an unstoppable drive into the top left corner of Rayleigh’s goal.

Penalties loomed, however, Green was to be rewarded for his hard work. Lee Waddingham’s tireless closing down of the opposition saw them lose the ball and Green slotted the winner with just five minutes to go in extra time.

The celebrations confirmed how hard won this goal was and Green was booked for removing his shirt.

Dunmow closed out the game comfortably and will play Burnham Ramblers Reserves in the semi final on February 2, 2011, at Dunmow.

Next: Bizarrely, Dunmow play Rayleigh again on Saturday in the league at the Recreation Ground. Kick off 2pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus