Second team promoted as Dunmow's cricket season comes to an end
- Credit: DUNMOW CC
The final weekend of the Two Counties Cricket Championship season brought celebration for one of Dunmow's teams.
The seconds already knew they would be promoted to Division Five next season but they finished in style and confirmed second place by doing the double over champions West Bergholt.
These two games were the only ones Bergholt have lost this term but the visitors give it go in this one, scrambling to 219-8 despite being 27-3 at one point.
Matthew Gibson, Alex Rix and Martin Callingham all took two wickets each but they too started slowly at 12-2 and 45-4.
McLaughlin hit a counter attacking innings of 56 to wrestle the initiative back before Callingham (50*) and Gibson (33*) saw Dunmow home.
The first-team ended with a disappointing 68-run loss at Clacton on Sea.
The hosts posted 201 with Baz Sewell (4-57), Mel Hussain (3-53) and Sam Mixture (2-46) all on form for Dunmow.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 5 High Easter hit Legends with second-half goal blitz
- 6 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 7 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 10 Wins for High Roding, Aythorpe Roding and Dunmow cricketers
But only one of the top five made double figures, Hussain with 16, while the top score was skipper Paul Reid's 28 as the visitors were all out for 133.