Drag racing: Price scorches to a string of awards
FLITCH Green drag racer Adam Price has made history by winning the coveted Don Garlits Spirit of Drag Racing Shield, widely recognised as the most prestigious award in the sport.
The shield stands for sportsmanlike values and virtues, dedication, achievements and the spirit of nostalgia drag racing.
“Being awarded the shield after just two seasons is a major feather in the cap,” said Price. “As no one has ever achieved this after such a short period of time and I now cannot win it again for at least another five years.”
To top it all Adam has been nominated for the APIRA Outstanding achievement award, at the joint Avon Park International Racers Association and Santa Pod Racers club joint annual dinner and presentation.
“It’s the drag racing equivalent of the Oscars,” explains Price. “Everyone in tuxedos – it is a really prestigious event.
Adam was nominated for the Iris Page award in 2010 but narrowly missed out and hopes that he will be successful in this year’s nomination in a few weeks time.
Although not being able to attend the presentation due to the birth of his daughter, Hollie, Adam will be by the phone in hopeful anticipation.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 3 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 4 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 5 10,000 signatures reached against Essex mega-prison proposal
- 6 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 7 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 8 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 9 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 10 Things to do in Essex this June
His new car for 2011, called Go Hard or Go Home and maintained and backed by Team Gridlock, will be even quicker than last season.
They have gone from a 5.9 litre engine to a 6.7 litre full race unit, also the new race gearbox has a transbrake (a device that lock first and reverse on the line) which should give a much better first 60feet and reaction time.
Price, the team, and the fresh altered dragster, will be at events during 2011 when they are not racing, if anyone wishes to have them on display or wish to sponsor contact the Dunmow Broadcast on 01799 512890 or e-mail directly through their website at teamgridlock.co.uk.