Double delight for Sawston
Sawston Bowls Club rounded off a magnificent season by winning the Roger Pawley Cup. In the semi-final they came up against Cambs & County, unbeaten league division one winners. A wonderful performance by all saw Sawston come out victorious by 82 to 74,
Sawston Bowls Club rounded off a magnificent season by winning the Roger Pawley Cup.
In the semi-final they came up against Cambs & County, unbeaten league division one winners.
A wonderful performance by all saw Sawston come out victorious by 82 to 74, top rink honours went to Geoff Brown, Mick Wright, Brian Croft and Peter Oglesby.
They then gained revenge for their only defeat all season by overcoming Chesterton in the final.
You may also want to watch:
After a bad start Sawston came back from over 20 shots down to pull through and win by nine shots, 88-79.
In the Meldreth & District League final, Sawston made it a double of titles. Having won the A half of the league they had to play the winners of the B half and came up against Bassingbourn.
- 1 Court sentence for Dunmow knife attacker, guilty of attempted murder
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 Council agrees to 'complicated' parking charges at Hylands Park
- 4 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 5 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 6 Book exchange opens in Dunmow
- 7 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 8 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 9 Tributes paid to PC Tris Baker who died in Roxwell collision
- 10 Rural ramblers efforts for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity
Another fine team performance (even with some players missing) saw Sawston romp home by 79-59. Top honour go to Bill Joy, Lin Whitmore and Peter Oglesby.
At Worthing the County Pairs winners Steve Jacobs and Neil Flack failed to make it past the first round, losing with the last bowl of the game.
In the singles Neil Flack put up a commendable fight against England International Paul Broderick losing 15-21.
Steve and Neil made it to the semi-final of the Eastern Counties BA by beating a pair from Suffolk, but succumbed to two of Norfolk's top bowlers at Felixstowe & Suffolk BC.