Double delight for Sawston
Sawston Bowls Club rounded off a magnificent season by winning the Roger Pawley Cup. In the semi-final they came up against Cambs & County, unbeaten league division one winners. A wonderful performance by all saw Sawston come out victorious by 82 to 74,
Sawston Bowls Club rounded off a magnificent season by winning the Roger Pawley Cup.
In the semi-final they came up against Cambs & County, unbeaten league division one winners.
A wonderful performance by all saw Sawston come out victorious by 82 to 74, top rink honours went to Geoff Brown, Mick Wright, Brian Croft and Peter Oglesby.
They then gained revenge for their only defeat all season by overcoming Chesterton in the final.
You may also want to watch:
After a bad start Sawston came back from over 20 shots down to pull through and win by nine shots, 88-79.
In the Meldreth & District League final, Sawston made it a double of titles. Having won the A half of the league they had to play the winners of the B half and came up against Bassingbourn.
- 1 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 2 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 3 New cycle network consultation announced
- 4 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 5 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 6 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 7 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 8 Roger Hirst remains in place in Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner elections
- 9 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 10 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
Another fine team performance (even with some players missing) saw Sawston romp home by 79-59. Top honour go to Bill Joy, Lin Whitmore and Peter Oglesby.
At Worthing the County Pairs winners Steve Jacobs and Neil Flack failed to make it past the first round, losing with the last bowl of the game.
In the singles Neil Flack put up a commendable fight against England International Paul Broderick losing 15-21.
Steve and Neil made it to the semi-final of the Eastern Counties BA by beating a pair from Suffolk, but succumbed to two of Norfolk's top bowlers at Felixstowe & Suffolk BC.