Derby victory for Thaxted
Thaxted Cricket Club finished their season in style with an emphatic win over their local rivals. Newport at the weekend. Put into bat, Thaxted got off to a slow start, but opener John Henry steadied the ship with a sturdy 42. Sixteen-year-old Michael W
Thaxted Cricket Club finished their season in style with an emphatic win over their local rivals. Newport at the weekend.
Put into bat, Thaxted got off to a slow start, but opener John Henry steadied the ship with a sturdy 42.
Sixteen-year-old Michael Wood (51) and Sean Murphy (29), came together and constructed a fine 54 partnership. The highlight being Murphy taking 20 off a Tom Fairweather over.
Runs flowed after Murphy's departure with Wood reaching his 50 and contributions from Jake Noble (13) and Luke Matthews (15 no), as Thaxted finished their innings
In reply, Newport got off to a poor start with their opener being run out without facing a ball.
- 1 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 2 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 3 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 8 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 9 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
Newport wickets tumbled at regular intervals with Taylor (2-24), Rendell (1-13), Matthews (2-28) and Murphy (3-11) sharing the spoils.
Newport were all out for 85 after Michael Wood caught the last batsman off Matthews, giving Thaxted the victory by 138 runs.