Derby victory for Thaxted
Thaxted Cricket Club finished their season in style with an emphatic win over their local rivals. Newport at the weekend. Put into bat, Thaxted got off to a slow start, but opener John Henry steadied the ship with a sturdy 42. Sixteen-year-old Michael W
Thaxted Cricket Club finished their season in style with an emphatic win over their local rivals. Newport at the weekend.
Put into bat, Thaxted got off to a slow start, but opener John Henry steadied the ship with a sturdy 42.
Sixteen-year-old Michael Wood (51) and Sean Murphy (29), came together and constructed a fine 54 partnership. The highlight being Murphy taking 20 off a Tom Fairweather over.
Runs flowed after Murphy's departure with Wood reaching his 50 and contributions from Jake Noble (13) and Luke Matthews (15 no), as Thaxted finished their innings
You may also want to watch:
In reply, Newport got off to a poor start with their opener being run out without facing a ball.
- 1 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 2 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 3 Garden of remembrance opens, part funded by Captain Sir Tom Moore fund
- 4 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 5 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 6 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
- 7 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 8 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 9 Numbers seeking support double - can you help Uttlesford foodbank?
- 10 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
Newport wickets tumbled at regular intervals with Taylor (2-24), Rendell (1-13), Matthews (2-28) and Murphy (3-11) sharing the spoils.
Newport were all out for 85 after Michael Wood caught the last batsman off Matthews, giving Thaxted the victory by 138 runs.