Derby joy for Airportmen
Takeley 0 Stansted 2 STANSTED FC took the bragging rights in their local derby at Takeley last Wednesday. First half goals from Dwight Gayle and John Bricknell were enough to give the Airportmen all three points which kept their Essex Senior Leag
STANSTED FC took the bragging rights in their local derby at Takeley last Wednesday.
First half goals from Dwight Gayle and John Bricknell were enough to give the Airportmen all three points which kept their Essex Senior League title hopes alive.
Stansted boss Terry Spillane said: "What an advert for Essex Senior League football. It was two good village sides going at it and was a great game. We were the best side on the night and we took our chances well."
Takeley manager Don Watters said: "They just about deserved it, but it could have gone either way for 60 minutes. They have had breaks between games so looked sharper.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 3 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 10 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
"We have been playing three games a week for a month and it's killed us. I will be glad when this season is over and we can start planning for next season."
Stansted started strongly and a free-kick from Andy Oxby was punched clear by Takeley keeper James May, before the lively Dwight Gayle fired in a fantastic drive from 25 yards that skimmed the bar.
However, after 21 minutes Gayle gave the visitors the lead as he managed to find a gap between goalkeeper and upright with an angled shot from the edge of the box.
Three minutes before the break Andy Oxby and then Gayle had great shots for the Airportmen that were blocked.
However, Stansted were awarded a penalty on the stroke of half-time which John Bricknell converted to put the visitors 2-0 ahead.
Takeley improved in the second half and play was concentrated more in the Stansted half of the field, but with little to worry goalkeeper Sam Tanner.
There was little opportunity to change the scoreline until Ryan Williams' shot slid past the post after 63 minutes.
Seven minutes on and Dan Cornwell could have added to the Stansted tally from six yards, but James May threw himself forward to stop the shot with his legs.
Desperation began to take over the Takeley game, with few shots threatening to break through, but Stansted had a chance on 75 minutes when Oxby fired over.
However, the Airportmen had done enough to take an important three points.