Debut match played by Dunmow Rhodes’ girls team
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Rhodes Youth’s girls team played its first ever match at the weekend.
The team was brought together last year and started training in September with coach Sarah Smith.
Since then the group has gone from strength to strength with between 20-30 girls, aged between four and 12, training every Saturday.
Smith said: “I knew there was lots of girls out there wanting to play, but many are put off at the thought of mixing with the boys.
“By offering girl’s only sessions the girls feel comfortable and soon grow in confidence.
You may also want to watch:
“I gained momentum and interest in the training by visiting local primary schools and offering free after school sessions.”
At the turn of the year Smith sought friendly matches with other clubs and on Saturday they played the first against Colchester Town.
- 1 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 2 Fond farewell to Sweetland's butchers after 69 years in the trade
- 3 Scouts jamboree fun covers radio skills to Morse Code
- 4 5 of the best wedding venues in Essex
- 5 Mayor's column: Dunmow changes, the Civic Service and talent in the town
- 6 Court sentence for Dunmow knife attacker, guilty of attempted murder
- 7 Wethersfield to house nearly 3,500 prisoners in government plan
- 8 Takeley pupils present harvest collection to Bishop's Stortford foodbank
- 9 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 10 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
Dunmow were edged out 1-0, but against an established team, playing in the Mid Essex Girls League, it was an outstanding display from a side in its first ever full length game on a grass pitch.
The team was Shannon, Amy, Lucy, Beth, Amiee, Violet, Millie, Sophie and Madison.
Over the next few months the club have more friendly games arranged in Basildon, Writtle and Saffron Waldon amongst others.
In addition to the older girls, their is also an U8s side that will be starting to play games too.
Anyone who would like to try girls football is welcome to attend a session.
They take place on Wednesday 6-7pm for ages eight and above and on Saturday’s 9-10am for ages four and up.
For more details or any questions call Sarah on 07793 325930.