FA Cup: Stansted 0 Takeley 1
- Credit: Archant
Takeley edged out local rivals Stansted in their FA Cup preliminary round tie at Bishop’s Stortford.
Matt Gill saved an early effort from Stansted, before Mitchell Das launched an attack on the right only to be fouled by home keeper Charlie Turner, who was sent off.
Midfielder Jack Smith put on the goalkeeper’s jersey, and pulled off a great save from a George Wappett shot as the first half ended goalless.
Takeley brought on Charlie Cole in the second half and they looked a bit sharper in attack, as Stuart Zanone found space on the left and crossed for Das to fire home.
Wappett was in good form throughout the game, with Zanone going close to a second with a great header which was ruled offside.
You may also want to watch:
Ten-man Stansted kept working hard and nearly scored in the closing minutes, but Gill saved well to secure the 1-0 win in front of a crowd of 207.
- 1 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 2 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 3 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 4 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 5 Stansted author to release second novel
- 6 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 7 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 8 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 9 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision