Darts: No two-horse race in Ridley League title chase
DID someone mention the words “two-horse race”? That fortnight-old forecast is starting to look VERY iffy as the Ridley League title chasers stumble over the last hard yards.
Leaders King’s Arms, buoyed by two 180s from Braintree’s Robbie Turner, cleaned up on the oche against Little Waltham SC, only to be blown away by a dominoes whitewash – and suddenly the reigning champions are back in the hunt. Meanwhile, CCFC C threw away that heaven-sent opportunity to gain ground, losing to their own A team after leading 7-3.
City A’s magnificent rally was overdue payback for skipper Steve Richardson (180), who has struggled to keep his side afloat – and the sweetest moment was Des Vickers and Rose Mallord’s mixed pairs victory, a result that leaves the two teams level with 13 wins apiece and three matches to go.
The Chequers, with a fixture in hand on the top three, reinforced their claims triumphantly, winning all the way down the card against the Black Bull and consigning the Bull’s Les Atkins to a rare “treble blank” – defeat in the singles, pairs and mixed, all in straight legs.
That result gave City B the chance to leapfrog into fifth place, their 10-5 win at Hatfield Peverel being marred only by defeat on the dommies table.
You may also want to watch:
Fryerning Cricketers grabbed the opportunity to distance themselves from danger, winning all but the second dominoes game against the Bird in Hand. That’s now no darts success in 15 matches for the Bird, and just four games won out of 105 – yet they’re always there ready for the next beating.
- 1 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 2 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 3 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 4 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 5 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 6 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 7 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 8 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 9 Ambitious and fast-growing High Roding raring to go ahead of new season
- 10 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail