Damp squib of a weekend for High Roding
- Credit: Archant
It was very much a bit of a damp squib for High Roding on Saturday in more ways than one.
The 1sts were facing TC Rippon Mid Essex League Premier Division bottom club Burnham Sports at The Meadow, and racked up 279-7 after batting first.
This was mainly due to a maiden century for Ben Gallop, and other runs being scored by Orban Holdgate (38) and Matt Hammond, also 38.
Just when it looked like Roding would have enough runs on the board for victory the rain came down.
The umpires decided to suspend play and as a result Roding had to settle for a draw.
You may also want to watch:
It was however a very positive game for Roding and the extra bonus points moved them one place up the league.
The 2nd team also suffered, but for a different reason going down to 10 wicket defeat to Thaxted.
- 1 In pictures: Fun at the 2021 Great Dunmow Teddy Bears' picnic
- 2 In pictures: Post box knitting celebrates Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Tom Daley
- 3 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 4 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 8 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 9 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 10 High Roding at the double and Dunmow go three-up as Aythorpe Roding lose ground in title race
Roding batted first and could only reach 94 all out, with Richard Pilcher scoring 41.
Thaxted did not lose any wickets to easily pass the Roding total for a comprehensive victory.
The 1st team are away to Little Baddow on Saturday.
The 2nd team have a home fixture against Stansted which will take place at Cloghams because of High Rodings Fete being held at regular ground The Meadow.