Damp squib of a weekend for High Roding
- Credit: Archant
It was very much a bit of a damp squib for High Roding on Saturday in more ways than one.
The 1sts were facing TC Rippon Mid Essex League Premier Division bottom club Burnham Sports at The Meadow, and racked up 279-7 after batting first.
This was mainly due to a maiden century for Ben Gallop, and other runs being scored by Orban Holdgate (38) and Matt Hammond, also 38.
Just when it looked like Roding would have enough runs on the board for victory the rain came down.
The umpires decided to suspend play and as a result Roding had to settle for a draw.
It was however a very positive game for Roding and the extra bonus points moved them one place up the league.
The 2nd team also suffered, but for a different reason going down to 10 wicket defeat to Thaxted.
- 1 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 2 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 5 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 6 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 7 Emergency bananas rescue man's 875-mile solo cycle challenge
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 9 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
Roding batted first and could only reach 94 all out, with Richard Pilcher scoring 41.
Thaxted did not lose any wickets to easily pass the Roding total for a comprehensive victory.
The 1st team are away to Little Baddow on Saturday.
The 2nd team have a home fixture against Stansted which will take place at Cloghams because of High Rodings Fete being held at regular ground The Meadow.