Cross country: Dunmow runners battle bitter conditions in penultimate Mid-Essex Cross Country League race
- Credit: Archant
RUNNERS faced bitterly cold conditions on Sunday for the penultimate race of the season in the Mid-Essex Cross Country League.
The event was hosted by Springfield Striders at Highwood near Writtle, and the course took runners from seven local clubs through the woods and along deeply rutted, ankle-twisting tracks.
The home team dominated the men’s race, with Springfield Striders taking the first eight places.
For Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners (GFDR), David Andrews was fastest, followed by Dan Reynolds, Geoff Maidment, David Spencer, Jason Wintin, Ian Baines, Ashwin Shah, Gavin Foster and Lee Prowse.
In the women’s race, GFDR’s Jane Smith finished in third position, followed by Kath Birks, Sue Harrington and Jeanette Hartley.
You may also want to watch:
With one race to go, GFDR’s ladies are in second position behind Leigh-on-Sea Striders. GFDR’s men are in third position behind Leigh-on-Sea Striders and Springfield Striders.
The final race will be hosted by Leigh-on-Sea Striders at Hadleigh on March 10.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 9 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 10 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases