Cricket: Dunmow win, High Roding lose, Aythorpe washed out
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Cricket Club enjoyed a convincing six-wicket win over Woolpit seconds in their latest outing.
Baz Sewell made the crucial breakthrough and went on to claim 5-50 from 15 overs unchanged as the hosts made 174-8.
Matt Gibson (2-40) and Joe Gallant (1-34) shared the other wickets as Woolpit were held to jsut 50 runs in the last 15 overs of their innings.
Dunmow made a solid start in reply, with openers Gallant (27) and Luke Swanston putting on 53.
Swanston went on to make 61, withh Paul Reid (19), Nick Kesingland (28*) and James Reid (32*) helping to seal victory ahead of this weekend’s home match against Abberton.
You may also want to watch:
The seconds dismissed Coggeshall thirds for just 71, as Martin Callingham took six wickets, and raced to a 10-wicket victory.
*High Roding lost both of their matches, with the first team going down by 111 runs at South Weald.
- 1 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 2 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 3 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 4 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
- 7 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 8 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 9 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 10 Laptops and jewellery stolen during Dunmow burglary
Rory Burns (2-29) shone with the new ball, as Nad Kumarapperuma and William Davis also nabbed braces, but the hosts went on to post 273-9 from their 45 overs.
Andy Duke and Harry Olorenshaw put on 55 in reply, but Freddie Burns (37) was the top scorer as they were dismissed for 162.
The seconds started with only nine men against High Beach, who made 157 after George Haddon took a pair of wickets.
Haddon and Mark Heywood batted well in reply, but Roding came up agonisingly short on 152.
*Aythorpe Roding saw their victory hopes hit by the rain at Rayleigh in the T-Rippon Mid-Essex League Premier Division.
Seven batsmen reached double figures as the visitors made 172-9 from 42 overs, with Joe Barnett (29), Paul Gravatt (23) and Rob Hyams (22*) the top scorers.
Graham Milbank took 4-25 from nine overs in reply as Rayleigh reached 145-5 from 27 overs before rain saw the match abandoned.
Aythorpe are due to entertain Rettendon on Saturday (1pm).