Cricket: Dunmow’s promotion hopes dealt a blow after Braintree defeat
DUNMOW’S challenge for promotion to the top flight of the Two Counties League was dealt a serious blow by local rivals Braintree last Saturday.
Dunmow bowled first and restricted Braintree to a relatively modest 205-9 from their allotted overs.
Baz Sewell was once again the pick of the Dunmow bowlers with 6-47, including a hat-trick towards the death.
Braintree’s total proved too much for Dunmow’s batsmen, who folded for just 138. Oli Rooney’s fluent 65 and a defiant eight-wicket partnership of 45 between Joe Gallant and Steve Hamlin were the highlights of an otherwise meagre batting display.
Dunmow now sit fourth in Division Two and must win their remaining six fixtures to stand a chance of promotion.
Meanwhile, Dunmow II’s bid to beat the drop in Division One of the Herts & Essex Cricket League was given a significant boost with a 37-run victory at home to Epping Foresters.
A century stand between Simon Sargent and Dessie Gypps enabled Dunmow to reach 212. In reply, Epping Foresters were dismissed for 175 by an inspired Dunmow bowling attack led by Majid Raja.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'much respected' Great Dunmow Town Band leader Andy King
- 2 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 3 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
- 4 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 5 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 6 Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners make the most of the summer sun
- 7 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 8 Harmer's career-best haul helps Essex stun Hampshire
- 9 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 10 KidzFair in Great Dunmow was a huge success for young entrepreneurs
This Saturday the 1st XI entertain struggling Mildenhall II, while the 2nd XI search for back-to-back wins against Ilford Catholics.