Cricket: Aythorpe Roding put to the sword by in-form Thurrock
- Credit: Archant
Aythorpe Roding lost by 38 runs at home to in-form Thurrock in a T Rippon Mid-Essex League Premier Division clash, on Saturday.
Both teams had players in good form – notably Joe Grant for Aythorpe – but it was the newly-promoted visitors who appear to be enjoying life in the premier division as they made it five wins from five.
Batting first, Thurrock lost two early wickets, both to the bowling of Grant, but Danny Laird put Thurrock in charge with an excellent 100 not out. He had good support from his team-mates as Thurrock ended the innings on a decent target of 226-8 in 45 overs.
Grant finished with impressive figures of 5-47 in 12 overs – taking his total of wickets to 18 in the five league matches. Skipper Ian Bryant claimed 2-62 in 12 overs and Graham Milbank 1-74 in 10.
Steve Chambers went in the third over for 5 as Aythorpe chased the total, but a second-wicket partnership of 50 between Paul Gravatt (55 including eight boundaries) and Mark Rosewell (18) put them up with the run rate required.
You may also want to watch:
Graham Milbank hit 50, and Rob Hyams 20 as Aythorpe were 180-7 after 40 overs. But three wickets then fell quickly and Aythorpe were all out for 188 in 41.4 overs, falling 38 runs short.
It was a better day at the office for Aythorpe on Tuesday though, as they moved into the next round of the Boardmans Davies Cup after beating Birchanger by 80 runs.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 3 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 4 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 8 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
Aythorpe, batting first, lost Paul Gravatt in the first over for 0, but after that the batsmen took control. Steve Chambers hit 14, Mark Rosewell 46, skipper Graham Milbank 46, Ian Bryant 21, and Rob Hyams 21 as Aythorpe ended on 181-7 in 20 overs.
Birchanger lost early wickets and never recovered as they finished on 101-9 in 14.5 overs.
Aythorpe will now play Thorley or Takeley in the next round,
They travel to rivals High Roding for a T Rippon Mid-Essex League match on Saturday, 1.30pm start.
? Aythorpe Roding 2nd XI lost by 101 runs at Brookweald in a T Rippon Division 6 encounter on Saturday.
Brookweald put in a strong batting performance as they reached 240-8. Neil Kelly (2-42 in 5 overs), Will Farr (3-35 in 6) and Liam Rosewell (1-22 in 6) claimed the wickets.
Aythorpe openers Elliott Reeve (13) and Will Farr (57) scored 25 runs before the first wicket fell, while Sean Darby (14) and Jordan Marsh (21) also had good knocks.
But the Brookweald bowlers performed well as Aythorpe were all out for 139.
They host Chadwell Heath on Saturday, 1.30pm start.