Community club award for Phoenix
- Credit: Archant
Phoenix Hockey Club put itself firmly on the map as a leading sports club for the District, after winning three categories at the first Active Braintree Awards.
Active Braintree, part of Active Essex, held its own sports awards this year for the first time with those shortlisted automatically nominated into Active Essex awards.
There were eight main categories, with more than 60 nominations from the district.
Phoenix were nominated in three categories; Club of the Year, Coach of the Year and Unsung hero of the Year.
The judging panel shortlisted three clubs for each category.
You may also want to watch:
On the night head coach Carl Wright received the highly commended citation for coach of the Year based on the performance of Phoenix since its inception and the merger of the former Braintree & Dunmow clubs.
Club chairman Chris Card was also highly commended as Unsung Hero of the Year for his efforts in getting the club through the ClubFirst accreditation scheme.
- 1 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 2 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 3 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 4 Stansted author to release second novel
- 5 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 6 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 7 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 8 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 9 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 10 Stop Stansted Expansion campaign group to rebrand
However, the best part of the evening was the award to Phoenix Hockey Club as Community club of the Year.
A club spokesman said: “This was a wonderful achievement after five years, marking the hard work that has gone on through the seniors through to juniors, rush hockey, Flyerz section for disability, and then achieving ClubFirst, a nationwide recognition of quality through all aspects of the clubs activities and services.
“The club extends a warm thanks and congratulations to Chris, Carl and all the members and parents who have contributed to driving the club forward.”
For those interested in the disability section: the club will resume Flyerz every Tuesday from November 4.