Comfortable victory for impressive Walden
Ipswich 13 Saffron Walden 23 Saffron Walden Rugby Club built on last week s great victory over Colchester defeating Ipswich on Saturday in London Four North-East. Walden started brightly and after five minutes the ball was fed down the backs by Glyn Jone
Ipswich 13 Saffron Walden 23
Saffron Walden Rugby Club built on last week's great victory over Colchester defeating Ipswich on Saturday in London Four North-East.
Walden started brightly and after five minutes the ball was fed down the backs by Glyn Jones through to full-back Dave Philp who jinked through the defence and touched down. Scrum-half Sheldon Revell taking over the kicking duties kicked the conversion for a 7-0 lead.
Virtually straight from the kick off Walden worked the ball back into the visitors half. The home team was penalised 20m out for illegal rucking and from the resultant advantage captain Paul Marshall slotted home the perfect drop goal.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich played a large part of the next 20 minutes in the Walden half and eventually the pressure told when they put together a move from the base of the scrum which ended with a centre breaking a couple of tackles and going over under the posts to cut the deficit.
Walden soon replied when the ball was worked into the Ipswich half and Revell kicked a penalty after the Ipswich backs were caught offside.
- 1 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 2 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed
- 3 County councillor: Roads and drains progress being made in the Dunmow area
- 4 Raynes Boxing Club duo delighted to return to amateur competition
- 5 Interest in women and girls cricket rises following anniversary event
- 6 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 7 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 8 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 9 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 10 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
With two minutes of the half remaining, Ipswich again reduced the margin to three points when they kicked a penalty as Walden were caught handling in the ruck leaving the visitors with a narrow 13-10 lead at half-time.
The second half was a tense affair and the match was in the balance for most of the 40 minutes.
Walden broke into the Ipswich half after the home team gave a series of penalties away culminating in Revell kicking another penalty to extend their lead.
Ipswich immediately kicked a penalty of their own when Walden's players were themselves caught off side closing the gap.
Walden made the game safe with five minutes to go when Marshall found a bit of space and kicked over the opposing winger towards the opposition try line.
The ball bounced awkwardly for the full-back and Revell was on hand to pounce on the ball as it rolled over the try line, Revell converted his own try leaving the final score at 23-13.
On Saturday Walden host Norwich in the league.