Carpendale successfully defends Stowmarket Scenic title
- Credit: Archant
Ben Carpendale and Maddie Jordan-Lee celebrated victories at the annual Stowmarket Scenic Seven, which was a sell-out with a bumper field of 445 tackling a seven-mile distance over country lanes, starting from the Mid-Suffolk Leisure Centre and heading out to Onehouse.
Carpendale, of Felixstowe Road Runners, successfully defended the title that he won last year, in a slightly slower time. A winner in 37mins 49secs last year, Carpendale posted 37:57 on Sunday.
Earlier this year, he won the Tarpley 10-mile title (55:19) in February, and triumphed at the Woodbridge 10K (33:26) in May.
Jim Last, of Framlingham Flyers, was an excellent runner-up to Carpendale in 39:14, so completing a repeat of the one-two from 12 months ago.
Leading veteran Last was actually 26 seconds quicker than last year (39:40).
You may also want to watch:
Third spot went to Tony Gavin, a team-mate of Carpendale at Felixstowe RR. He registered 39:45.
The top five was completed by Framlingham Flyers' Adam Howlett, who was also first over-45 in 40:00, and Ipswich JAFFA's Adam Wade (fifth in 40:22).
- 1 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 2 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 3 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 4 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 5 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 6 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 7 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 8 Moth night celebrates Dunmow's autumn biodiversity
- 9 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 10 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
Meanwhile, there was a notable one-two for twin sisters Maddie and Millie Jordan-Lee, who were running in their local event - they are both members of hosts Stowmarket Striders.
Maddie Jordan-Lee was first home in 44:23, with her sister Millie finishing second with 46:10.
Jessie Gooderham, of Saint Edmund Pacers, clocked 47:24 in third position, followed by Felixstowe RR's Collette Green (49:08) in fourth.
There were prizes for the men's and women's team events, with Felixstowe Road Runners claiming the men's title and Stowmarket Striders the women's.
The male veteran age category prizes were won by Felixstowe RR's Ben Jacobs (over-40, 41:46), Howlett (over-45), Felixstowe RR's Steve Brooke (over-50, 43:29), Diss & District's Peter Clarke (over-55, 45:13), Pacers' Stephen Pretty (over-60, 49:17) and Stowmarket's Frank Moggan (over-65, 56:16).
The Pacers' trio of Natalie Hay (over-40, 52:22), Sharon Brandon (over-55, 54:25) and Karen Hatton (over-60, 58:16) topped their female age groups.
So too did Felixstowe's Sarah Fitch, in the over-45 section (49:36) and Sudbury Joggers' Sandy Thorogood, who was fifth overall and the leading over-50 in 49:13. Cheryl Trundle, of Haverhill RC, won the over-65 class in 58:08.