Burlend brace sees Ladies take points
Bedford Ladies III 1 Saffron Walden II 1 Saffron Walden seconds kept up their unbeaten league record with a hard-fought draw at Bedford. Walden started the stronger and individual runs by Zoe Bull, Kate O Sullivan and Sophie Thomas all brought about sho
Bedford Ladies III 1 Saffron Walden II 1
Saffron Walden seconds kept up their unbeaten league record with a hard-fought draw at Bedford.
Walden started the stronger and individual runs by Zoe Bull, Kate O'Sullivan and Sophie Thomas all brought about short corners, but Walden were unable to convert any of these chances with some fine saves from the Bedford keeper.
As the half wore on Bedford grew in confidence and keeper Fiona Holmes made a couple of important saves.
After the break Bedford took the lead when the Walden defence failed to clear.
This forced Walden to raise their game and eventually they converted a short corner with a strike from Amy Huson deflecting into the net off a Bedford stick.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 5 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 6 Great Dunmow's Soapbox Race's thrills and spills in pictures
- 7 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 8 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 9 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 10 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
In the final 10 minutes Walden pushed for the winner, but it wasn't to be.
Saffron Walden Ladies III 5 Peterborough 1
Keeper Nicky Bailey, back after injury, was on top form as Walden defeated Peterborough on Saturday.
Emma Knight and Gabbi Byland gelled well on the right both making fine crosses into the D. Short corners came into their own again with Sarah Wyatt both hitting them out and scoring two goals from being well placed on the left far post.
Emily James at left wing supported by Charlotte Wisbey both added to the scoreline.
Tash Cox, Becks Burton and Sarah Wyatt defended well keeping Peterborough forwards thwarted at every move.
Saffron Walden Ladies IV 3 Queenswood II 0
Saffron Walden fourths moved up to third place in the league with a victory over previously unbeaten Queenswood seconds on Saturday.
Both teams played great attacking hockey and had several attempts on goal before Annie Withington converted a short corner, to put Walden into the lead just before half-time.
Queenswood continued to play well, but excellent defending by Donna Anderson, Julie Pearce and Sue White kept them at bay.
Withington increased Walden's lead with a well executed strike and Natalie Chandler completed the score line securing a well deserved win.