Braintree Town: Devonshire signs up seven more as squad returns to training
PLAYERS at Braintree Town have reported back for duty, as Alan Devonshire continues to assemble his squad
Football – Blue Square Premier League
PLAYERS at Braintree Town have reported back for duty, as Alan Devonshire continues to assemble his squad ahead of a first season in the top flight of non-league football.
The Cressing Road outfit began pre-season training on Thursday evening and amongst the ranks were six of last year’s Blue Square South league winners.
Signing up for another year with The Iron are Nicky Symons, Matt Paine, Kenny Davis, Scott Shulton, Sam Lechmere and Ryan Peters.
Devonshire has also secured a new name in the shape of 23-year-old defender David Stevens from Hampton & Richmond Borough.
“The lads have worked hard in their first session and they’ve all looked after themselves during the summer. It’s great that David has joined the club and that so many of last season’s squad have decided to stay with us.”
- 1 Memories are made of this for Bob as Barnston and High Roding meet at last
- 2 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 3 Assault in Dunmow's Tesco car park
- 4 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 5 Great Dunmow man jailed for 14 years
- 6 Data reveals distracted drivers repeatedly caught in Essex
- 7 Court imposes five year ban on shoplifter
- 8 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 9 Essex: More Electric Vehicles needed to meet goals
- 10 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
More good news was the return to training of forward Jamie Guy. The popular 23-year old striker played an active part in yesterday’s session and is working hard with physio Steve Gracie on his rehabilitation.
Devonshire added: “Jamie’s working hard and will be included as soon as he feels ready. When you think what he’s been through over the past few months, his attitude has been superb.”
One player has departed the club however. 30-year-old striker Cliff Akurang has decided to remain in regional football.