Boss delighted with Barnston AFC’s 6-3 triumph

Joe Jones scores to Barnston's sixth goal

Joe Jones scores to Barnston's sixth goal - Credit: Archant

Barnston AFC boss Glen Wilkinson was a happy man after his side’s 6-3 win over White Notley on Saturday.

Captain Kieron Heap

Captain Kieron Heap - Credit: Archant

Joe Jones netted five goals and Jack Hurley one as Barnston secured their third Essex and Suffolk Border League Premier Division win in four games.

Wilkinson said: “That is what I have wanted to see from the boys.I know they are more than capable of pulling off performances like that.

“Today [Saturday] they have worked hard, been disciplined, kept possession and played some very good football.

“The conditions were not great, but they have shown that they can do it and we have set the standard for how we want to play.

“I will expect to see the same every week from now on.”

It was Notley who took an early lead as their winger’s cross took a deflection and landed at the feet of their striker who slotted in.

Most Read

Around 20 minutes in, Kevin Spencer fed Kieron Heap, he ran the ball to the right and crossed for Hurley who fired a volley into the top corner of the visitors’ net.

The wind was back in Barnston’s sails and as the game restarted they were quickly back in control.

Another attack saw Jones round the keeper and fire in to hand Barnston a 2-1 advantage.

That was 3-1 by half-time as Heap put the ball in behind the Notley defence and the pace of Jones saw him race from his own half through one-on-one with the keeper.

A poor touch from Jones took him wide, but he was able to loft the ball in from the right into the far corner to make it 3-1 to the home side.

The second half saw Barnstron come out with the same intensity as they had ended the first half.

However, Notley thought they had struck back when they put the ball in the net following a corner, but the referee blew for handball.

Barnston responded and a neat piece of footwork from Heap played in Jones to slot in and complete his hat-trick.

Notley refused to lay down and were unlucky as they hit the post.

Barnston though were relentless. Heap’s shot was deflected into the path of Jones who put the ball into the back of the net for his fourth and Barnston’s fifth of the afternoon.

The sixth came as keeper Sam Kendle’s released the ball and substitute Jake De’Ath charged up the pitch, he passed the ball through the last two defenders to Jones who hit his fifth goal.

In the last 15 minutes Notley pulled two back making the score 6-3.

The drama had not finished, a frustrated Notley player came in hard on Manny Johnson which went un-noticed by the referee, however Johnson’s needless retaliation saw him sent off.