Blues march on in cup at Saints
Two goals from Greg Pearson helped Bishop s Stortford defeat St Albans on Saturday in the FA Cup. Blues gained revenge at Clarence Park for their league defeat at the start of September, and will now visit Wealdstone in the third qualifying round. After
Two goals from Greg Pearson helped Bishop's Stortford defeat St Albans on Saturday in the FA Cup.
Blues gained revenge at Clarence Park for their league defeat at the start of September, and will now visit Wealdstone in the third qualifying round.
After a slow start it was Stortford who took the lead after 24 minutes when Pearson curled a free-kick around the wall and into the net.
Blues keeper Andy Young had to be alert to stop Lee Clarke's deflected shot and then to prevent Sulaiman's effort before the break.
Stortford dominated the second half and came close to doubling their advantage when Loui Fazakerley curled a shot wide following good work by the lively Jack Midson.
However, they did make a further breakthrough on the hour mark when Jason Mason threaded the ball through to Pearson and he made no mistake firing the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 3 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 4 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 5 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 6 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 7 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 8 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 9 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 10 Great Dunmow's Soapbox Race's thrills and spills in pictures
Stortford had chances to kill the game off, but Pearson couldn't convert Midson's cross and then roles were reversed with Midson failing to convert after good work from Pearson.
Elphick headed in a late consolation for the hosts, but it was too little too late and Stortford comfortably held on to take the victory.
On Saturday Stortford host Eastleigh.