Barnston end league season on high note
Basildon Town 1 Barnston 2 Barnston completed their season with a victory at Basildon in the Essex Olympian League Senior Division Three. The visitors started strongly and took the lead when Paul Cranfield finished off a good move to shoot past the home k
Basildon Town 1 Barnston 2
Barnston completed their season with a victory at Basildon in the Essex Olympian League Senior Division Three.
The visitors started strongly and took the lead when Paul Cranfield finished off a good move to shoot past the home keeper.
Playing some good passing football Barnston outplayed Town, but let in Basildon just before the break when a cross was met by Daniel Aston whose brave header found the net.
The second half saw Basildon come more into the game, but Barnston held firm and it was them that found a breakthrough when Paul Layzell beat two defenders before firing in the winning goal.
- Barnston held their presentation evening on Saturday with Lee Crisp winning the player of the year award and Dan Fisher the players' player of the year.
- 1 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 2 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 3 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 4 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 8 Braintree investment leads to questions about Witham
- 9 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 10 Chelmsford: Safety improvements planned at roundabout after Thaxted man dies
The reserve player of the year went to Dan O'Brian with reserve players' player of the year to Dave Canning, while young player went to Matt Smith and top goal scorer to Graeme Turner. John Turner picked up the clubman award.