Barnston AFC give a second half masterclass

BARNSTON moved to within four places of the promotion places in the Essex and Suffolk border league with a storming come back to leave Weeley reeling.

The home side suffered an early blow, going one-nil down midway through the first half but were inspired in the second as substitute Justin Brown turned the game on its head.

The midfielder came on alongside winger Adam Emery and took control in the middle to provide the ammunition for AFC to score four times in 40 minutes.

Manager Leighton Williams said: “Justin’s high work rate, tough tackling, and good use of the ball stopped Weeley from having any chance of staying in the match and, coupled with Gareth Heard’s non-stop running, it was difficult for them.”

Weeley, who were relegated from the premier division last season, came to High Easter Road looking for maximum points and started well for them after they were awarded a penalty in the first half.

Dave Canning mistimed a tackle and the resulting kick was buried for a one-nil lead.

Barnston carried on attacking, but were still sloppy in possession, and were not using the ball as well as they can in the final third.

Most Read

However, they were given a chance to equalise, also from the spot after a cynical foul. Tim Shaw, starting for the first time, took the penalty only to see it saved.

The second half was almost a rout. AFC used the ball better, and attacked with determination.

The introduction of Justin Brown in the centre of midfield alongside Gareth Heard saw Barnston dominate and a good attacking move saw Mark Pledger put tuck the ball away to get bring parity.

Within a few minutes the game was as good as over. Tim Shaw was given the ball around 25 yards from goal, he turned his man, and shot instantly into the far corner with the keeper rooted to the spot.

Weeley soon gave away another penalty, this time to be taken by Adam Emery. His initial spot kick was saved by the Weeley keeper, but Emery followed up his effort and blasted the rebound home.

Late substitute Campbell Wilson then won Barnston another penalty, which he stepped up and took himself, calmly slotting in for 4-1.

This week sees Barnston travel to Kirby for a 3pm kick off.