Back’s double fires Barnston
Barnston 2 Newham United 1 Barnston put in a strong performance to defeat Newham United on Saturday in the Essex Intermediate League Division Two. Barnston got of to a flying start against a good organised Newham side, taking the lead after just two minut
Barnston 2 Newham United 1
Barnston put in a strong performance to defeat Newham United on Saturday in the Essex Intermediate League Division Two.
Barnston got of to a flying start against a good organised Newham side, taking the lead after just two minutes.
Luke Farrow's pass found Martin Back and he fired in a drive that nestled just inside the post, giving the visitors' keeper no chance.
You may also want to watch:
Barnston continued to have the best of the early exchanges and increased their lead on the half-hour mark when Back headed home Carl Powell's accurate corner.
Despite strong pressure from the home side they couldn't add to their tally before the break.
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 6 New cycle network consultation announced
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 9 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 10 Summer art competition for children launched by school
Newham came out strongly in the second half, but Barnston's back four played extremely well and when Newham did get shots in Jon Eastaugh in the home goal pulled off some good saves.
As Newham threw players forward, Barnston caught them on the break and Bobby Stewart hit the post with only the keeper to beat and then sub Tim Brett also missed a good chance blasting over the bar.
However they remained solid at the back to take the three points.
On Saturday Barnston host Writtle, 2.30pm kick-off, while the reserves who didn't have a match at the weekend travel to Linford Wanderers.