Aythorpe Roding lose in rain-ruined match
IN WHAT should a been a clash of two of the league’s premier teams, rain played a major role in Aythorpe Roding’s nine-wicket loss to Bentley.
Bentley won the toss and put Aythorpe Roding into bat. After nine overs Aythorpe were 11-1 as the first rain of the afternoon brought play to a halt.
Two or three more interruptions cut short Roding’s innings to 16 overs. By this time they had scored 40-5.
It looked unlikely there would be any more play, but after an early tea, the sun came out and Bentley relentlessly mopped the wicket to ensure a run chase for the hosts.
With the allotted time for Roding’s innings passed, Bentley went into bat and hit 11 from Joe Grant’s first over, although he did take a wicket.
You may also want to watch:
Bentley continued to punish the bowling attack of Grant, Liam Keaney and Ian Bryant and passed the target in 3.1 overs.
Aythorpe Roding entertain Hatfield Peverel on Saturday, 1.30pm start. The second XI travel to Rettendon, 1.30pm start, and the Sunday team host Forest Green, 2pm start.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Broomfield staff facing a 'battlefield scenario' in Covid fight
- 3 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 4 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 5 Try this at home: Chef Webb from MasterChef's latest recipe
- 6 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 7 Hot lunches to support more vulnerable in community
- 8 Hospice at home service in seventh year but Covid impact 'challenging'
- 9 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 10 Man jailed for at least 18 years after murdering partner out of jealousy