Away cup delight for Dunmow Rhodes
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Rhodes claimed a 2-1 win at Sandon in The David Strachan Mid Essex League Knock-Out Cup second round.
The away side started the stronger of the two teams .
Their first chance in the 24th minute when Jake Buckland broke through and pulled the ball back for Adam Burton whose shot was brilliantly stopped on the line.
This woke Sandon who used the long ball with the slope to turn the Dunmow defence.
With dangerous crosses into the box Sandon were unlucky not to score before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw Dunmow press hard from the kick-off.
In the 54 minute Daryl Burton pulled the ball back to man of the match Josh Burgess who fired a low strike home.
- 1 New Stansted business park could support more than 3,000 jobs
- 2 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 3 New Hylands Estate parking charges explained
- 4 Bid to 'join' Dunmow and Easton with more than 1,000 homes blocked
- 5 Ball bearings shot at Leaden Roding car
- 6 'Outstanding' Town Award winners unveiled
- 7 Essex Highways proposes 11-week closure to main road near Thaxted
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 10 Valentine's Flitch Ball to take place this February
In the 68th minute Sandon tried to push forward. Jamie Sanders broke down the Sandon attack and released Matt Travell. Matt’s first shot was pushed out by the keeper but he followed up his run and tapped in for Dunmow’s second goal.
Dunmow skipper Simon Preece headed a free-kick into his won goal for 2-1, but his side saw out the game to progress.