Alex Lynn lands GP2 seat with DAMS
- Credit: Archant
GP2 will have a new face on the grid this year in the shape of Dunmow’s 2014 GP3 champion Alex Lynn.
The 21-year-old will join the DAMS team, who won the drivers’ and team crowns last term, for the upcoming season.
Lynn is one of the sport’s most promising young drivers and underlined his potential by capturing the GP3 title at his first attempt in 2014.
“I am delighted to be racing with DAMS in 2015,” said Lynn.
“Their record in the last few years speaks for itself and there’s nowhere else I wanted to be in GP2 – it’s a fantastic opportunity for me and I’d like to thank them for giving me this break.”
You may also want to watch:
Lynn will be looking to take GP2 by storm in his first year; in the same style he did last year in GP3.
“My aim is to fight for the championship,” added the confident racing star.
- 1 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 2 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 3 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 4 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 5 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 6 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 7 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 8 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 9 Ambitious and fast-growing High Roding raring to go ahead of new season
- 10 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
“It’s a long time since anybody won GP2 in their first year, but if we can get off to a solid start there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be able to fight for wins and podiums straight away.”
Lynn will race for DAMS alongside Frenchman Pierre Gasly.
Lynn said: “I know Pierre very well, we’re good friends, and it’s not often that team-mates see eye-to-eye so I’m looking forward to having a good year with him.
“It will also make things a lot smoother and more productive for the team with us working together in a positive way.”
DAMS team principal Jean-Paul Driot believes his new-look team has what it takes to again be celebrating come the end of the campaign.
He said: “After the brilliant season we had in 2014 it’ll be difficult to do better. Obviously our aim is to keep our titles and I’m delighted to welcome Pierre Gasly and Alex Lynn to the team.
“It’s the youngest driver line-up we’ve ever had in GP2, but we’ve got two exceptionally talented guys who have a great future ahead of them.
“Although the overall level in the championship will again be very high, I’m confident that with these drivers DAMS will prove worthy of its rank.”
The 2015 GP2 Series begins at the Sakhir International Circuit in Bahrain from April 17-19.
There are eight rounds in total, with all supporting Formula One grand prix.