Airportmen shot down by leaders Enfield
STANSTED FC got off to a flying start at Essex Senior League leaders Enfield 1893 on Saturday. The Airportmen took the lead in the first minute when a cross from Paul Seymour was half cleared by the home defence and young striker Rob Whitfield was on han
STANSTED FC got off to a flying start at Essex Senior League leaders Enfield 1893 on Saturday.
The Airportmen took the lead in the first minute when a cross from Paul Seymour was half cleared by the home defence and young striker Rob Whitfield was on hand to score.
Enfield had a chance to equalise on 15 minutes when prolific striker Sherwin Stanley was tripped in the box. The ref pointed to the spot, but Stanley was unable to convert.
The equaliser came 10 minutes later when the Stansted defence failed to deal with a cross from the left-hand side and Stanley nipped in to score.
You may also want to watch:
The winner came on the hour mark when a cross from the right found Stanley in the box who gave keeper Matt Cope no chance from six yards.
Five minutes later Stansted thought they had equalised when a half cleared corner was met by the head of Whitfield and a defender on the line could not prevent the ball going into the net. However, the assistant flagged for an infringement.
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 3 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
- 4 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 5 Interest in women and girls cricket rises following anniversary event
- 6 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 7 Dunmow's Macmillan coffee and cake success despite stolen banner
- 8 New chemotherapy centre at Broomfield Hospital is 'fantastic'
- 9 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 10 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
"It was a massive decision, but things like that are going against us at the moment," said Stansted boss Terry Spillane, who was delighted with how his mid-table side competed with Enfield
"It was an excellent performance, I cannot fault how the team played."
Stansted were due to visit Eton Manor last night (Wednesday) and this Saturday Stansted entertain high-flying Barkingside at Hargrave Park. On Saturday December 29 the Airportmen visit Clapton, who want the game switched to Friday night as West Ham are at home on Saturday.