Airportmen crash out at Brentwood
Brentwood 7 Stansted 0 Stansted s poor run of results got even worse at Brentwood on Tuesday night when they suffered their heaviest defeat under manager Terry Spillane. On a nightmare night for the Airportmen the Ryman Division One North side hit seven t
Brentwood 7 Stansted 0
Stansted's poor run of results got even worse at Brentwood on Tuesday night when they suffered their heaviest defeat under manager Terry Spillane.
On a nightmare night for the Airportmen the Ryman Division One North side hit seven to progress to the second round of the East Anglia Cup.
After an encouraging start to the season the Hargrave Park club have slipped up of late, but Spillane is not too disheartened.
You may also want to watch:
"I didn't get carried away when we were on our good run and I won't get carried away now it's come to an end," he said.
"Our target is still a top half finish and we are still on course and confident we will achieve that."
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 4 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 5 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 6 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
Stansted started the game well on Tuesday and it was an even contest until Brentwood took the lead after 32 minutes when they worked a shooting position for Leon Diaczuk to score the first goal from just outside the area.
Five minutes later Danny Carroll was brought down and Terry Scotchmer scored from the penalty spot, and Carroll made it 3-0 in the 42nd minute.
Riki Holmes and Donovan Wilson were involved in the best move of the night which ended with substitute Tommy Lee scoring the fourth in the 53rd minute, and Diaczuk scored his second goal in the 60th.
Trevor Paul completed the scoring with two well taken goals in the 64th and 78th minutes.
"They are at the top of the league above and are a very good side with a big budget," said Spillane.
"They taught us a lesson, but we didn't give up and kept on going until the end.
"We were second best on the night and it's a big step up, but we won't be playing teams like Brentwood every week."
Sawbridgeworth 2 Stansted 1
Two goals in the last 10 minutes saw Stansted slip to a defeat at Sawbridgeworth Town on Saturday in the Essex Senior League.
The Airportmen had taken a third minute lead through Danny Dow at Crofter End, but Sawbo dominated the game and deserved their victory.
"It was a dreadful performance which is a shame as we have been playing really well of late," said Stansted chairman Terry Shoebridge.
"We got what we deserved and it was a bad day at the office."
Stansted have no game this weekend, but visit Southend Manor on Tuesday in the Fans Focus Senior Cup.