A gruelling race at Highwood
- Credit: Archant
Springfield Striders hosted the Mid-Essex Cross Country League race at Highwood, near Writtle, on Sunday.
The five-mile course through the woods and across the fields was particularly muddy and slippery following the recent heavy rains.
Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners (GFDR) was represented by 18 men and eight women. Steve Read was fastest for the club, with Dan Reynolds, Jason Wintin, David Spencer, Ian Lawson, Paul McKenna and Ashwin Shah also scoring team points for the men. Point scorers for the women were Hayley Smith, Pru Hayhow, Natalie Herbert and Sarah McLagan.
The hosts, Springfield Striders, fielded strong teams, winning both the men’s and women’s races, closely followed by Leigh-on-Sea Striders. GFDR men’s and women’s teams both finished fourth; the men ahead of Braintree and District Athletic Club and Mid-Essex Casuals and the women Mid-Essex Casuals and Little Baddow Ridge Runners.
After four events, GFDR’s men are fourth in the league behind Springfield Striders, Leigh-on-Sea and Little Baddow and GFDR’s women fourth behind Leigh-on-Sea, Braintree and Springfield Striders.
You may also want to watch:
The next race in the series will be at Braintree on January 26.
- 1 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 2 In pictures: Fun at the 2021 Great Dunmow Teddy Bears' picnic
- 3 In pictures: Post box knitting celebrates Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Tom Daley
- 4 Jobs boost for community as Dunmow's Caremark sees demand surge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 7 Former Tring Athletic boss Kevin Christou named as new manager at Dunmow Town
- 8 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 9 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex