Youngest F1 driver takes on Monaco
A SEVENTEEN year old Felsted driver has become the youngest ever F1 racer to drive at the famous Monaco grand prix circuit. Michael Lyons who drives for the Hillspeed Racing team made history on May 10 and 11 after competing in the prestigious Grand Prix
A SEVENTEEN year old Felsted driver has become the youngest ever F1 racer to drive at the famous Monaco grand prix circuit.
Michael Lyons who drives for the Hillspeed Racing team made history on May 10 and 11 after competing in the prestigious Grand Prix Historique on the Monte Carlo street circuit.
Taking the wheel of a glorious blue 1977 Hesketh 308E the teenager qualified in a respectable seventeenth position on the grid. After making a tremendous start and rising four places inside the first lap however, Lyons was forced to retire after gearbox problems.
Team principle Richard Ollerenshaw was very prod of the young stars performance. "He did an excellent job and it was just a shame he was forced to retire after such an outstanding start. I am confident he would have finished inside the top 10, he really is a credit to himself."
You may also want to watch:
Lyons only had 14 laps to learn the track from scratch and was easily the youngest driver in the field. Mr Ollerenshaw continued: "He did a top job, the breakdown was unfortunate and we were disappointed for him, but he can still take away a lot of positives from the weekend."
The teenager's next race is on Monday 26 when he returns to his usual single-seater Formula Renault BARC for the fifth round of the 2008 season at Oulton Park.
- 1 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 2 Interest in women and girls cricket rises following anniversary event
- 3 Dunmow's Macmillan coffee and cake success despite stolen banner
- 4 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 5 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 6 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 7 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed
- 8 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
- 9 County councillor: Roads and drains progress being made in the Dunmow area
- 10 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision