Woman sentenced for using Xbox Live and PlayStation Network to committ sexual offences
A WOMAN from Rayne has been given a two year suspended sentence for using online gaming networks to commit sexual offences.
Claire Marquis, 33, of Medley Road in Rayne previously admitted two counts of inciting a child to commit a sexual act, two counts of causing a child to watch a sexual act and possessing indecent images of children.
At Chelmsford Crown Court on Monday October 3, she was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment suspended for two years, a care and intervention order under the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies programme, 200 hours community service and she will be on the sex offenders register and under a sexual offences prevention order for ten years.
Essex Police Online Investigation Team was made aware of Marquis in August 2010 following a referral from Cheshire Constabulary.
She used PlayStation and Xbox gaming networks in order to talk to the victim, before exchanging mobile numbers and communicating via phone.
You may also want to watch:
DS Lee Morton from the online team said: “Marquis made her victim feel special; she portrayed herself as a young female nurse, making the victim believe he was in a relationship with her, despite knowing he was only 14-years-old.
“The communication lasted over 18 months during which time sexual images were exchanged, this information was passed to police when her true age was discovered by the victim’s parents.
- 1 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 2 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Join Pam on sponsored 'walkies' for Guide Dogs
- 5 Almost 800 Essex patients take part in Covid-19 Recovery trial
- 6 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 7 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 8 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 9 Elsenham WI transfixed but can't work out magician's tricks
- 10 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
“It is hoped that this investigation will highlight to parents the risks associated with the use of gamer networks. The risks of social networking are regularly reported on, but parents should be aware that the gamer networks are just another form of this.
I would encourage parents to take an interest in what there children are doing and who with, when on these networks.”
Anyone with any concerns relating to individuals talking to their children in such an environment should seek the appropriate advice from police.