Weather and snow update - Stansted Airport says “So far, so good”
IT SEEMS to be so far so good at Stansted Airport even as the snow across Uttlesford continues to fall in regular spurts
Managing Director, Nick Barton said: “So far, so good and we are counting ourselves lucky to have only closed the runway for one main period, but full credit must go to the snow teams who re-opened us in just over four hours when nearly 10cm fell at lunchtime Saturday.
“Stansted was the last major airport in the South to close, and we took in nearly 30 diverted aircraft on top of normal operations, before having to close the runway to remove the vast quantities of snow.
“Ground handling agents, airfield operations and airlines worked together and it’s the combination of a great team effort that got us through the challenge.
“Thousands of passengers travel plans were impacted and our security and terminal teams worked equally as hard looking after the welfare of passengers stranded in the terminal. I also have to give praise to staff in our shops and restaurants who stayed on at short notice to provide services for passengers here overnight.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re not complacent and are keeping a close eye on the ever changing weather fronts, but it’s the sheer dedication of all staff working here that has ensured we’ve coped so far and we’ll do all we can to keep Stansted operating through this very cold and challenging spell.”
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Former Felsted schoolboy who broke back twice wins Tokyo bronze
- 3 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 4 Essex BMX star wins Olympic gold
- 5 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 6 Dog whose owner moved away without her is featured on TV
- 7 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 8 Uttlesford action against speeding and anti-social behaviour
- 9 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 10 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'