Weather and snow update - Stansted Airport says “So far, so good”
IT SEEMS to be so far so good at Stansted Airport even as the snow across Uttlesford continues to fall in regular spurts
Managing Director, Nick Barton said: “So far, so good and we are counting ourselves lucky to have only closed the runway for one main period, but full credit must go to the snow teams who re-opened us in just over four hours when nearly 10cm fell at lunchtime Saturday.
“Stansted was the last major airport in the South to close, and we took in nearly 30 diverted aircraft on top of normal operations, before having to close the runway to remove the vast quantities of snow.
“Ground handling agents, airfield operations and airlines worked together and it’s the combination of a great team effort that got us through the challenge.
“Thousands of passengers travel plans were impacted and our security and terminal teams worked equally as hard looking after the welfare of passengers stranded in the terminal. I also have to give praise to staff in our shops and restaurants who stayed on at short notice to provide services for passengers here overnight.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re not complacent and are keeping a close eye on the ever changing weather fronts, but it’s the sheer dedication of all staff working here that has ensured we’ve coped so far and we’ll do all we can to keep Stansted operating through this very cold and challenging spell.”
- 1 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 2 New Stansted business park could support more than 3,000 jobs
- 3 New Hylands Estate parking charges explained
- 4 'Outstanding' Town Award winners unveiled
- 5 Bid to 'join' Dunmow and Easton with more than 1,000 homes blocked
- 6 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 7 Valentine's Flitch Ball to take place this February
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 10 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport