Water performance by Felsted pupils to reach global final
- Credit: Archant
Environmentally conscious steps taken by Felsted Preparatory pupils have led the school to reach the final stages of a world-wide contest.
Having reached the final three out of 140 international schools taking part in the Water Explorer programme – a charity working with schools to find sustainable alternatives – eight pupil water ambassadors from Felsted attended an award ceremony at Canary Wharf in recognition of their outstanding work.
The ceremony, sponsored by HSBC, included an 11-way video conference in which all of the finalists from each country were introduced to each other.
Environmental impact is important at Felsted, where their Water Explorer approach includes Global Gang Leaders who help save water, paper, electricity and more around the school.
The charity’s judges were impressed by how much effort Felsted had put into the project, and awarded £250 in prize money which has been donated to the school’s chosen charity, Sparkle Malawi, to improve access to clean water.
You may also want to watch:
Headmistress Jenny Burrett has now opened a learning languages Global Centre for pupils in recognition of their achievement which includes a write-on wall, a Skype chat space, high laptop tables for online learning, comfy sofas for reading and a writing area.
Mrs Burrett said: “The flag bearing entrance represents the school’s taught languages of Spanish, French, German, as well as Latin, which is the legacy connecting them all. “Collectively the flags stand for the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and the mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
- 1 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 2 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 6 New cycle network consultation announced
- 7 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 8 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 9 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 10 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
“My aim is for our children to become globally aware and to make a true difference in the world.”