Volunteer receives honour for helping patients during pandemic
- Credit: Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust (PAHT)
A volunteer who has helped patients take part in video calls with their loved ones during the pandemic has been recognised with a British Empire Medal in the New Year’s Honours list.
Joanne Busson has volunteered with the virtual visiting team at the Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust since March, delivering messages from relatives and friends to patients, and setting up video calls.
She has previously carried out volunteer work for the hospital’s partner charity the Anne Robson Trust, offering comfort and support to patients nearing the end of their lives.
Joanne said: “I feel incredibly honoured to have been awarded such a special and prestigious award.”
Phillipa Haslehurst, voluntary services manager at PAHT, said: “Five days a week Joanne volunteered, delivering the messages to a loved one and also managing the virtual visits made every day.
You may also want to watch:
"Her compassion and care is second to none and she is completely selfless."
- 1 Distraction theft in Dunmow leaves woman without handbag
- 2 Secretary of state to consider overturning Finchingfield houses approval
- 3 Police appeal after clothing theft from donation container
- 4 Villages around Great Dunmow covered in frost and snow
- 5 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 6 Church received £31,000 grant for restoration purposes
- 7 Community helps foodbank under pressure
- 8 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 9 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 10 Seventh flood in Great Bardfield breaks pavement