Village runners all out for a duck
THREE-LEGGED racers have proved that their village pond is not just for ducks by running through it to raise money for the local cricket club. Runners from Finchingfield Cricket Club raised over �1000. Competing pairs tied themselves together at the ankle
THREE-LEGGED racers have proved that their village pond is not just for ducks by running through it to raise money for the local cricket club.
Runners from Finchingfield Cricket Club raised over �1000. Competing pairs tied themselves together at the ankle and then ran around the village taking four 'pit-stops' at the Fox Inn, Red Lion, Three Tuns and the cricket club, in-between running through the centre of Finchingfield's famous duck pond.
More than 200 villagers turned out to watch 13 teams taking the plunge.
Cricket club chairman, Damon Knight, said: "It was an excellent afternoon, with a real carnival atmosphere. The sun was out, along with half the village, and a lot of runners wore fancy dress so everyone was treated to a good-humoured spectacle."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "We couldn't have done it without the pubs' support, so many thanks to them. People are already asking us if they can take part next year."
Kirk Maddern and Iain Ruggles-Brise from Finchingfield CC won the race, closely followed by Tom Smith and Toby Pratt from the Red Lion. William and Jackie Bargman from Finchingfield Almshouse Trust came in third.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 New cycle network consultation announced
- 4 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 5 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 6 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 7 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 10 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
Graham Tobbell, chairman of Finchingfield Parish Council, presented trophies donated by the Red Lion on the Green after the race.
For further details about Finchingfield Cricket Club visit the website at www.finchingfieldcc.co.uk.