Video & Gallery: New Dunmow police station is officially opened
CHAIRMAN of the Essex Police Authority Robert Chambers described it as 15 years in the making , Essex Chief Constable Roger Baker said it was A first class building with first class people, it was, of course, the opening of Dunmow s new police station.
CHAIRMAN of the Essex Police Authority Robert Chambers described it as "15 years in the making", Essex Chief Constable Roger Baker said it was "A first class building with first class people," it was, of course, the opening of Dunmow's new police station.
Gathered round a glittering red ribbon in the Wednesday morning sunshine, town mayor Clive Smith declared the modern and spacious policing centre officially open at 11.15am today (Wednesday).
The £7.5million replacement for Dunmow's old town centre police station will house 80 officers, working in different departments, such as crime scene investigation, road policing, dog handling, intelligence and a human resources team.
Mr Chambers said: "The impressive new station is great news for the local people as not only does it boast state of the art facilities, it will also generate a greater police presence and visibility in the area, something which the public asked for. My claim to fame is it was going to be built at Newton green 15 years ago but the deal fell through and we needed somewhere, I am delighted it is Dunmow. "
You may also want to watch:
The doors to the new station are now open to the public on Saturdays - Tuesday 9am until 5pm and Wednesday to Friday 8am until 8pm.
Chief Constable Baker said: "We are determined to provide the best policing services to the people of Essex. This police station reflects this determination and will enhance neighbourhood policing in the town."
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 9 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
- 10 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
Dunmow's old police station, on Chequers Lane, will remain open for two hours, six days a week, until a new kiosk will be built at the new library in White Street. The opening hours for the old station are Monday to Friday 10am until noon and Saturday noon until 2pm.
Let us know what you think of the new station. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at 2 Angel Lane, Great Dunmow, Essex CM6 1AQ.