Vandals smash up play area forcing it to close
A CHILDREN S play area has been rendered unusable after being damaged by vandals. The play area, at Willow Road in Woodlands Park, Dunmow, suffered serious damage earlier this month. This included the ripping up of the soft safety surface, stones being sp
A CHILDREN'S play area has been rendered unusable after being damaged by vandals.
The play area, at Willow Road in Woodlands Park, Dunmow, suffered serious damage earlier this month.
This included the ripping up of the soft safety surface, stones being spread across the whole area and a Perspex disc forming part of the equipment being broken.
As well as preventing children from using the area by damaging the equipment to the point of being unsafe, vandals have also scrawled graffiti over various surfaces.
You may also want to watch:
Uttlesford District Council is currently investigating the cost of repair, to enable the play area to be safe for use by children again. The police have also been informed.
Chairman of Uttlesford District Council's community and housing committee, Cllr Rod Chamberlain, said: "It's a deplorable situation that we have had to close this play area due to the irresponsible actions of a few mindless yobs, who have selfishly denied families and young children use of this facility.
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 4 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 5 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 9 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 10 New cycle network consultation announced
"The play area was only opened last summer and it's very sad that it has suffered such serious damage after not even a year. Hopefully this will be a one-off and once the play area has been repaired it will not be attacked again, as it is very popular with Woodlands Park's young children.
"However, we do require residents to be vigilant on this matter. It's likely that somebody knows who was responsible for this act, and I hope that they take that information to the police to prevent this happening again."
DID you use this play area? Call us on 07501482135 or e-mail email@example.com