Uttlesford police issue burglary warning ahead of Christmas
The initiative follows a spate of house burglaries in the Broadcast area in recent weeks and comes as police raise fears that a spike continues in the build up to, and after, the festive season.
Uttlesford’s crime reduction officer Peter Caulfield said that the national burglary rate peaks after Christmas but insisted that there are many precautions that can be taken to minimise the risk of becoming a victim of crime.
He said: “We do have an issue after Christmas of people putting out boxes for recycling for all to see. We ask people to be mindful of how they put out their rubbish – don’t advertise the goodies that have been unwrapped inside.
“You should also check contents insurance details annually – the value can rocket after Christmas.
“Make good use of visibility marking for items – UV is useful but a burglar would not be able to see it and would not be deterred.
You may also want to watch:
“If you haven’t already got one, consider installing an alarm.”
He added: “People have become complacent,” he said. “We do live in a nice area but we are still a potential target.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 3 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 4 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 5 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 8 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 9 Braintree council installs further electric vehicle charging points
- 10 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
“I don’t want to put the fear of crime into people but we are live in an affluent area waiting to be discovered. People need to take responsibility for their own security.”
For more details or advice on how to make your property safe, contact Mr Caulfield on 0300 333 4444.
Alternatively visit the neighbourhood watch website at uttlesfordnhw.org.uk which contains advice on how to do your own home security survey.