Uttlesford gardeners celebrated in competition
- Credit: Archant
Winners of the Best Garden, Best Hanging Basket or Tub and Best Communal Garden in Uttlesford were announced this week.
The competition was run by Uttlesfield District Council, was open to all council tenants and leaseholders, and was judged by Steve King, the council’s grounds maintenance supervisor.
Jacqueline Stannard in Barnston won Best Garden, as a good example of how to make a small space into a distinct area, and Couple Brian and Cynthia Gypps in Great Sampford won Best Hanging Basket or Tub for their impressive arrangements in the village.
They were both given a £50 gardening centre voucher and a plant.
Best Communal Garden went to the sheltered housing scheme at The Close, Hatfield Heath, for making their outside space so colourful.
You may also want to watch:
The residents were given an £100 voucher and a specially made flower bed for this category.
All the winners were presented with a certificate by Cllr Julie Redfern, the council’s cabinet member for housing, and Josephine O’Connor, business & community investment manager from the sponsor VINCI Facilities.
- 1 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 2 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 3 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 4 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 5 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 6 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 7 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
- 8 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 9 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 10 Take a look at Great Dunmow's very own secret garden
Cllr Redfern said: “It is always a pleasure to visit all these beautiful gardens. They really do look wonderful. Clearly, all the entrants put in a huge effort and take great pride and enjoyment from their gardens, and I am sure this is also appreciated by neighbours and passers-by.
“I would like to congratulate all the winners, and also thank everyone who took part.”
There is another category, Tallest Sunflower, but this will be judged later this month and announced in September.