UPDATE: Police continue to investigate Chelmsford rape
DETECTIVES are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding a series of sexual assaults on Chelmsford women in the town.
The first attack happened a 28-year-old woman was walking along New Street shortly before 2:30am on March 1. This is being treated as an attempted rape.
The second attack happened three hours later when a 36-year-old woman was waling along the Bunny Walks by the side of the nearby Riverside Retail Park. This is being treated as a sexual assault.
The third attack happened shortly after 2am on March 3 when a 28-year-old woman was standing outside Chelmsford Cathedral. This is being treated as an sexual assault.
The fourth attack happened on Duke Street shortly before 7am on March 8 when a 30-year-old woman was assaulted.
On Saturday (Mar 10), a 42-year-old man of no fixed address was arrested just outside Chelmsford town centre in connection with the first three offences. He was later released on police bail until April 14 pending further enquiries.
A 25-year-old man from Chelmsford remains on police bail until the same date after having been arrested in connection with the first three offences. He is currently on police bail.
- 1 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 2 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 3 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 4 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 8 Braintree investment leads to questions about Witham
- 9 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 10 Chelmsford: Safety improvements planned at roundabout after Thaxted man dies
A third man, a 20-year-old man from Chelmsford also remains on police bail until the same date after having been arrested in connection with all four offences.
An increased police presence was visible in the town over the weekend, with plain-clothed officers also on the outskirts of Chelmsford watching people walking home.