Update on transatlantic rower
TRANSATLANTIC rower Charlie Pitcher, from Felsted, has given the Broadcast his latest update on how his preparations for the toughest race in the world are going. Mr Pitcher, 45, featured on the front of the Dunmow Broadcast back on May 8, with the hope
TRANSATLANTIC rower Charlie Pitcher, from Felsted, has given the Broadcast his latest update on how his preparations for the 'toughest race in the world' are going.
Mr Pitcher, 45, featured on the front of the Dunmow Broadcast back on May 8, with the hope of raising tens of thousands of pounds for charity by rowing the Atlantic Ocean, solo.
But before that he fully intends to take on the toughest foot race in the world in March, the famous Marathon des Sables. He will be running the equivalent of six marathons in six days in sweltering heat at the edge of the Sahara Desert.
He said: "I have been training hard for the past 12 months, running the miles, building my strength, developing my technique, designing a radical boat which I believe will give me a great chance of winning as well as organising the funding for the boat build (already under way), equipment and entrance fees.
You may also want to watch:
"I am doing these two challenges in memory of my great friend Shaun McLeod Jones and raising funds for the renal unit at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge."
Mr Pitcher, of Alderton Close, said that raising charity funds is a completely new area for him so he has created a Facebook Group called "Charlie's Rowing Mates" which he wants everyone to join.
- 1 Man fined for driving to Dunmow to exercise dog
- 2 Try this: MasterChef winner Chef Webb's recipe for roasted chicken supreme
- 3 Tributes are paid to much loved vet Stephen Flood
- 4 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 5 Eve creates cerebral palsy awareness stamps
- 6 Farm wins best Pick Your Own category in awards
- 7 Another award for Old Park Meadow
- 8 Two dogs stolen as Uttlesford dog owners voice concern
- 9 Containerlift supports laughter and supply chains
- 10 Co-op windows are smashed and cigarettes stolen
He said: "I intend to share with the group the highs and the lows of the next 12 months and get feedback and ideas on our fund raising activities."
Anyone can make a donation of £5 or more to kick start Mr Pitcher on the way to £100k. Visit www.transatlanticsolo.com and click on the 'Just Giving' section.