Unattended smouldering logs cause house fire in Great Dunmow

PUBLISHED: 17:12 18 January 2017 | UPDATED: 17:12 18 January 2017

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

Smouldering logs left unattended caused a house fire in Dunmow this week (January 17).

They had been stacked too close to a fire in the house on Green Lane, and at around 1.30pm heat transfer caused them to also set alight.

As this wood was not protected like the rest of the fire, they rolled onto the carpet – starting a blaze.

Alarms were raised by a neighbour, who came home to find his house also filled with smoke.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service firefighters from stations in Stansted and Leaden Roding were called onto the scene, where they found the house 100 per cent smoke logged.

To extinguish the fire by 2.25pm, the firefighters had to cut part of the flooring away. There was also fire and smoke damage.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dunmow Broadcast. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast