Village is first in the fast lane as new ultra broadband is installed
- Credit: Archant
Birchanger is the first Uttlesford village to benefit from a countywide roll-out of ultrafast fibre broadband.
The broadband network operator, Gigaclear, has installed a fibre broadband cabinet in the village, as part of the Superfast Essex broadband programme.
The cabinet is currently providing 212 properties in Birchanger with a connection to a fibre broadband network with far more properties expected to become enabled across Uttlesford in the coming months, as even more cabinets are installed, and network connections built.
The Gigaclear network is capable of delivering download and upload speeds of up to 900Mbps, meaning it would take less than a minute to download a 2.5-hour HD film, faster than boiling a kettle.
Transforming the broadband speeds of Birchanger was a significant civil engineering project. Gigaclear contractor Kier worked to dig up 5.3km of carriageway, footway and verge to lay more than 6.5km of fibre.
Gigaclear is working to deliver ultrafast fibre broadband to more than 4,600 properties in Uttlesford, as part of the third phase of its work with Superfast Essex, Essex County Council’s broadband improvement programme.
Drew Ritchie, chief operating officer at Gigaclear, said: “This marks the start of a hugely exciting time for residents and businesses who live and work across Uttlesford. We believe passionately in the importance of digital inclusion for all, no matter how rural their chosen home or business is.
- 1 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 2 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 3 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 4 Wins for High Roding, Aythorpe Roding and Dunmow cricketers
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 7 Great Dunmow's Soapbox Race's thrills and spills in pictures
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 10 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
“We hear time and again how an excellent internet connection can really transform lives, be it accessing important social and retail services remotely or simply keeping in touch with family members living far away.”
Essex county councillor Gagan Mohindra, cabinet member for economic development, said: “I’m thrilled residents can now buy ultrafast broadband in Birchanger because of Superfast Essex’s work with Gigaclear. This is the first of many cabinet areas due to be connected, meaning shortly even more Uttlesford homes and businesses will be able to benefit too.”
Residents and businesses interested in receiving Gigaclear’s ultrafast broadband service can find out more at www.gigaclear.net/superfastessex.