Twang! It’s the guitar man
DURING the working day he is a production manager for an electronics company. But when he goes home Ruedi Egger like to go back to his roots. The 61-year-old guitar maker from Great Bardfield creates musical master pieces in his shed at the bottom of his
DURING the working day he is a production manager for an electronics company. But when he goes home Ruedi Egger like to go back to his roots.
The 61-year-old guitar maker from Great Bardfield creates musical master pieces in his shed at the bottom of his garden.
Born in Switzerland, the craftsman has always had a passion for flamenco music after meeting his idol, Manitas de Plata, at the age of 16, whilst in the south of France.
He began making guitars five years ago, but found no problems with learning how due to his background.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I am a qualified, Swiss-trained toolmaker and gunsmith. Both of these trades have provided me with the essential skills required to produce high quality workmanship.
"I have always been creative and enjoy making things by hand. I have built several flamenco guitars and most recently some classical guitars."
- 1 Former POW camp on council heritage list
- 2 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 3 Grandmother rescued from muddy field in Little Bardfield
- 4 Trees are planted in Great Bardfield
- 5 The benefits of the great outdoors
- 6 Covid jabs have started at Broomfield Hospital's Vaccination Hub
- 7 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 8 Stansted teachers offered lockdown yoga
- 9 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 10 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
Each guitar takes around 150 hours to complete and is worth thousands of pounds.
"Each guitar has to be my very best work so I do not rush," said Mr Egger. "I have sold each of them at exhibitions for over �1400 but my top guitar is worth �4000 - I haven't sold it yet.
"When I retire I will be trying to make five guitars a year and sell them. But it is not about the money. I really enjoy doing it as a hobby."
DO you have any strange or mysterious hobbies? E-mail us at email@example.com