Stansted Turkey hatches duckling and peachick in strange pairing
- Credit: Mountfitchet Castle
A Stansted turkey has adopted a duckling and peachick after keeping the eggs warm before hatching.
Doris the turkey, who lives at Mountfitchet Castle, hatched the baby birds this week.
She warmed to them and is looking after them as their surrogate mother.
A Mountfitchet Castle spokesperson said Doris and her two baby birds are doing well.
They said: "All are blissfully unaware they are a strange mix and wander happily around the castle grounds together."
Mountfitchet Castle is home to a number of chickens, turkeys, peacocks and ducks.
In 2013, one of its cockerels was named the tallest in the world. The 2ft bird, Little John, was reportedly reared on popcorn.
In 2017, The Apprentice hopeful Elizabeth McKenna was filmed shoo-ing away Mountfitchet Castle's impressive fowl collection in what was named one of the show's "Best Bits".
- 1 Anti-drug spray trialled in Braintree clubs, pubs, and public toilets
- 2 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 3 Plans unveiled for 22 new Hatfield Broad Oak homes
- 4 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 5 Braintree burglary sparks Essex Police appeal
- 6 Great Dunmow man jailed for 14 years
- 7 New vehicles to catch Essex's criminals on the county's fast roads
- 8 Environmental action: Dunmow boutique Wardrobe holding eco-swap
- 9 Government accused of 'grotesque waste of taxpayers' money' after Stansted flight
- 10 Dinosaur visits Felsted School
Series 13 team Graphene mistakenly booked Mountfitchet Castle to stage a car advertisement, assuming the model village was a picture-perfect English idyll.
To find out more about Mountfitchet Castle, 'cluck' here.